Off grid house on Mallorca
This system was designed to supply a newly renovated holiday home near Puerto Soller, Mallorca with the options of lights (LED of course), Internet connection, small power tools and a washing machine.
How to make a solar powered wash? Please read the solar survival manual
- 3 X 165 Watt 24V panels wired in serial = app. 80 Volt, to reduce wiring cost and up the efficiency
- Xantrex XW60 mppt regulator
- 4 X Enersol mono bloc 12V 250 Ah batteries wired in parallel & diagonal master +/-
- Solener 1500 Watt Inverter
- IOTA DLS 220-55 Amp charger for backup generator charge and heavy demands.
- Dedicated 3 way 2 pole commuting switch to isolate Generator power completely from Inverter circuit. This selector switch can also select generator power directly to the house mains inlet.
- RCD relay for 220VAC house entrance, and heavy duty DC breakers/fuses on all main lines fitted in main box
- Heavy duty crimp terminals on battery connections, greased with petroleum gel and heat shrinking covers to prevent corrosion.
- Earth terminal
Completed April 2009
Lights on first night. No noicy generator, only silence.
The client is an arcitect, so he wished to add “wings” to the utility shed walls to disguise the solar panels on the 40 degree sloped roofThe client is an arcitect, so he wished to add \”wings\” to the utility shed walls to disguise the solar panels on the 40 degree sloped roof
The shadows on the panels present no problem. Orientated due south the early morning and late evening sun is of no significance to the daily power production
A peek into the utility room, note again the vent holes for battery gasses, which incidentally only occur while equalizing.